Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Reach out and touch someone


The story goes that when Jesus rose from the dead all the disciples but Thomas got to see him in person.  When the disciples told Thomas that Jesus had returned he refused to take their word for it.  He wanted to see Jesus for himself, and more than that, he wanted to touch him too.

There is something to that need for tangibility.  For John, today’s Disneyland visit was all about seeing and touching Disneyland.  John’s priority was meeting as many Disneyland figures as possible and getting their autograph.

For those of you who have not been to Disneyland with a small child recently, autograph books are the new trend.  Small children tote around blank books which are signed by figures in costume.  What’s oddest about the exchange is that most of the characters don’t talk, so the whole process is a weird pantomime punctuated by photographs.  At least someone in a Donald Duck head never blinks…

But, of course, Donald Duck is one character that, for whatever reason, one never sees.  John has collected Goofy, Pluto, Chip, and Dale’s signatures on multiple occasions.  Stranger less well-known figures also patrol the parks (Turk? Rafiki?) as do a whole host of princesses.  I have to admit, I myself get a little star struck whenever I see Princess Aurora (I think Sleeping Beauty was re-issued when I was 7).  John could care less about princesses in general, but meeting one in person is another story…

So we opened our day in Goofy’s kitchen breakfasting with all kinds of Disney folk and ended at Mickey’s house for one last autograph and photo-op.  John was so tired when we loaded up the car at 5 that he slept through the traffic getting out of LA (one whole hour of going no more that 5 miles per hour).

We end up in Palm Springs, delightful because we are staying at the Holland’s lovely house.  I feel warmed and welcomed not just by the fireplace and spa, but by the fact that my computer automatically logs into the internet here.  Surrounded by the familiar artwork of the Holland’s feels like something I can touch. 

In Palm Springs we have met up with Aggi, my best friend Christi’s mom.  Due to events beyond our control (pregnancy and child birth on Christi’s part, Jay’s job loss and moving on mine) Christi and I have not seen each other in over a year.  I think that’s the longest we have gone since we first met at 15.  So spending time with Aggi is about the next best thing.  She shows me pictures of Christi’s new son Sam and we debate about whether he looks like his mother, meanwhile all I can think is how much Aggi looks like Christi.  I recall, Chicago is much closer to Brooklyn than Berkeley.

Tomorrow John and I will travel to Phoenix to meet up with my friend Deena.

1 comment: