Friday, November 5, 2010

Mountains and Plains

My congregation was having a hard enough time with the fact that my family was moving away.  And then I told them exactly how we were going to do it.  It was bad enough that my husbands new job was taking us 2000 miles away - but did I have to drive there? alone? in winter?  Even the fact that I promised to stop frequently, even the fact that I intended to take the southern route (the old Route 66) didn't seem to help.

"How will we know you're alright?" some asked.  The older members wondered if they would have to get on "the Facebook" to get updates.  It became clear, I would have to have  a blog.

Now as anyone who has ever attempted to start a blog knows, the hardest part (at least at this stage) is coming up with a name.  What would this project be called?  Having no experience with blogging, I called my friend Deena (who will be joining us on our cross country adventure) and gave her my parameters.

"It has to be about being a pastor - but not exactly Shepherd of the Hill's pastor.  And it needs to be something about the midwest.  And it needs to be hopeful.  What do you think?"

Moments later she had it.  "Shepherd of the Plains" was born.

Now God does work in mysterious ways, and somehow this new name already contains the seeds of new promise and hope.

Because of course it isn't just the congregation in Berkeley who is sad that we're going.  My husband is sad.  My son is sad.  And I am really sad.  I've been wondering a lot when where and even if a new call will come for me.  I've been wondering if I will even find another call like the mountain top experience of being pastor up in the Berkeley Hills.

As I was preparing for my final Sunday, after the blog had been named, I was looking at the texts assigned to the day.  And the Gospel text was the Lukan Beattitudes.

Now I'll be the first to admit, while Luke is my favorite Gospel, I tend to prefer Matthew for the Beattitudes.  Matthew's Beattitudes are so much more accessible to me (and they leave out the woes).  But that probably shouldn't be surprising.  Matthew's Beattitudes come from Jesus' famous "Sermon on the Mount."  And isn't it always easier to see God on the mountaintop?

But Luke's Beattitudes have their own beautiful and realistic edge (woes included).  They come, not from the Mount, but from the uniquely Lukan "Sermon on the Plain."  I can't help but think God already has plans for me and for my congregation even as I go.  Plans that will be blessings out of our woe.

And so there it is, Shepherd of the Plains.  I hope to post regularly during my cross country trek and to keep you all apprized of the power of the resurrection even beyond the hills of Berkeley.  Keep us in your prayers, and check back soon!

7 comments:

  1. Well I signed up for Facebook but like this MUCH better. Don't have to sift through anything to find the meat. I'll be following your trip with great interest.

    Love, Candy

    ReplyDelete
  2. So this us what you were writing late last night when I thought you were working on the sermon? Not bad - looking forward to the updates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great, great, great - I love your travel writing and can't wait to follow along on your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am here in Illinois, and I'll be watching. Get here safely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Want to read more! Keep writing, Pastor Katie. Hope John gives you the right directions. Good luck and gute Fahrt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie, as a daughter of the prairie, born in Western Illinois, let me say that we prairie people have a special advantage. Unlike the hill and mountain people, we can see clearly not only what is before us, but where we came from, the past as well as the future. We have great perspective. I love the prairie, in particular the swaying of the soothing green corn and bean plants as they are jostled by the wind in the summer. It gives me a deep feeling of peace. I believe you will come to love it too as I do. Of course, in Chicago you will be a ways from the cornfields, but they will be there, nurtured by the rich black soil of Illinois, waiting to welcome you in the spring.

    ReplyDelete