Friday, January 21, 2011

Saints

Last Sunday I did something I haven’t done in a very long time.  I taught Sunday School.

Now I love Children’s Ministry and Sunday School has a  special place in my heart.  But Sunday School at Shepherd of the Hills was scheduled during the worship service physically precluding me from teaching.  While I occasionally switched out the sermon for an extended children’s lesson in worship, mostly I relied on others to teach.

So when Grace, Evanston, was looking for a teacher for Sunday I volunteered. 

I decided to write a new lesson about Martin Luther King, or Saint Martin Luther King, as I called him. Thinking over Kings story I included elements about race, Christian faith, lunch counter sit ins and bus boycots, the march on Washington, and the fact that King went to jail.

I taught the lesson to preschoolers and kindergarteners on Sunday.  And while they had heard a lot about King  (one child seemed concerned that I didn’t talk about ALL The marches), the part about him going to prison seemed pretty foreign

One child insisted, “Only bad people go to jail.”  I said that lots of Christians have gone to prison, including most of the disciples.  But the kids didn’t seem to by it.

The car is always a primary place for theological discussion.  “Mama,” John said, “You must be wrong.  Only bad people go to jail.”

Having not succeeded with examples like Peter and Paul I mentioned a pastor back in California who John adores.  “Pr. Jeff was arrested,” I said, “when he was protesting laws he thought were wrong, just like Dr. King.”

John thought silently.  Everything seemed to sink in.  “Then I guess Pr. Jeff must be a saint like Dr. King , because saints fight for justice and peace.”

Its good to be back teaching Sunday School.  I learn so much.

1 comment:

  1. How fortunate we are that our children have little experience with good people going to jail. Our laws are mainly just. How fortunate also that we have folks like Pastor Jeff who are willing to pay the price for their protests.

    ReplyDelete